Home Forums General Forums Trek Preparation Shoes Or Boots

• This topic has 6,331 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Just wondering if anyone out there has experiences in wearing low-cut trekking or trail running shoes (eg Salomon XD Pro) on the trek and whether these are a reasonable option. Also, whether low-cut shoes (with gaitors) were suitable when carrying your own gear.

I have read on the forum where people have been more comfortable walking in their sneakers than their trekking boots, but its unclear if they had a porter to carry their pack. I do prefer low-cut to mid or high-cut boots but need to make an informed decision so any feedback would be appreciated.

Rocky

If you're born and raised in the PNG hills you can get away with bare feet or a pair of KT26's leakier than a people smugglers' boat.

If you're like me (with weak white man ankles used to graded footpaths or otherwise stored under desks) then you're going to want a bit of ankle support. Sprain your ankle and you're stuffed. It's a very rocky / steep / tree rooty track with ample opportunity to roll your ankle.

Also depends on what season you're going. The wetter it is – the muddier it is, and the muddier it is the more likely you're going to get one of your low cut shoes sucked off your foot.

In a nutshell, unless you're looking to run the track, for most people a pair of proper hiking boots is the way to go.

I tend to agree with Rocky. My experience has shown that if you are the type of person who runs a lot ie pounds the footpaths, runs in the bush, competes in adventure sports or the likes, then your ankles are strong and you can get away with low cut good quality shoes. Our boys who entered the Gold Coast Kokoda Challenge were given Salomon shoes and believe it or not, they have been constantly worn ever since and only just last year have I noticed them showing any wear and tear. Rocky is also right when he says the boys could walk the track barefoot with no problems whatsoever, in fact the majority would still love to do that but its the trekkers that worry about their feet and insist on them wearing footwear. In Kokoda our boys walk around all the time with nothing on their feet, some with thongs but on average shoes are not high on their priority list.

With regards to trekkers, we have had several walk in runners; low cuts etc but the majority wear boots with good ankle support. I fit into the feet under a desk category so would be stupid to go on the track with anything else then something strong to guard my ankle. In fact when I walked I also wore ankle strapping. One day I was lazy and did not put them on but I really felt the difference.

My daughter who runs a lot wore the low cuts but her ankles are obviously strong enough to handle them. So all in all, it pretty much depends on what you do for sport and for a living. Construction workers; nurses; doctors; hairdressers etc are used to being on their feet all day long but for the rest of us, well we need that support.

In our Kokoda Challenge Race Rocky is right, KT26's are the preferred shoe for the PNG locals and the shoe like you mentioned are worn by the expatriates as they need something which is light but strong at the same time. When I interviewed one of the overseas competitors, he said they train 130km's per week running in the bush! So in a nutshell, if you are an athlete and have strong ankles then no problems, if not, go for ankle support.

I do not really think it matters if you have a personal porter or not as you are both covering the same ground. Its more what your ankle needs as per what Rocky mentioned, you will be hit with mud; slippery tree roots; water crossings; steep downhills and never ending uphills. If you think your ankles can handle the terrain then Salomon shoes are excellent and light to wear and are proven by our boys alone that they are strong and durable.

I just noticed even the track champion Brendan Buka won his race in a pair of KT26's, he is seen here 3rd from the front. The guy second from the front ran in Salomon shoes.
    Owers_Corner_Start_2008.jpg

The photograph below was taken minutes after all our KTL boys had received their donated Salomon shoes by a rep from Brisbane. They are seen here proudly showing them off. All red but that did not deter them, they wore them with pride, time and time again.

As for gaitors, I have heard many a trekker say they prefer the shorter cover ones over their boots. However, the gaitors of choice still remain the knee length ones as more trekkers head out with them then the shorter type. I personally tried the longer ones but they gave me a rash so I opted for long lightweight trousers and just my boots. So once again its trial and error, whatever your choice you have to practice in them first to see what suits yourself.
    KTL_Boys.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful advice. My feet do spend a lot of time under a desk but then again I do a fair bit of distance running as well so hopefully my ankles would be up to doing the trek in the low-cuts. To play it safe, I'll get into a bit of off-road training in them and then make the final decision.

davidtate

Trekking the trail is different than running in the city, where you don't have to contend with slippery rocks and thick roots.
    That's where ankle support comes in – your feet will constantly be placed on uneven angles and as Rocky said, if you sprain your ankle it will make things VERY difficult (obviously depending on severity of sprain).

I once sprained my ankle while trekking and then twice more because the ankle was severly weakened by that point, unfortunately, I still had to force myself to keep up with the rest of the group. Certainly a very painful and experience and due to not being able to care and rest it properly, I probably incurred a bit of scar tissue around the joint which has made it weaker overall.

So my advice is, stay on the safe side and go for good ankle support!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.